Books and Web Sites
The following list contains books and web sites that I use for my own personal growth and to assist clients. This list is not all inclusive, but contains some excellent materials that match my philosophy and approach. All are easy to read and practical and most have a process to follow to assist the reader in understanding and working through issues.
to danger, drugs, food, sex, work, etc.
- Addiction and Grace − Gerald May, M.D.
- Craving for Ecstasy − Harvey Milkman and Stanley Sunderwirth
- How our passions become addictions and what we can do about them
- Dying for a Drink − Anderson Speckard, Jr., M.D. and Barabra R. Thompson
- What you and your Family Should Know about Alcoholism
- In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts − Gabor Matel, M.D.
- Being Adopted − Brodzinsky, Schechter, & Henig
- The Lifelong Search for Self
- Journey of the Adopted Self − Benny Lifton
- A Quest for Wholeness
- The Primal Wound − Nancy Verrier
- Understanding the Adopted Child
- Raising Adopted Children − Lois Melina
- Practical advice
Aging and Retirement
- Age of Miracles, New Mid Life − Mariann Williamson
- Healthy Aging − Andrew Weil, M.D.
- Life Lessons − Elizabeth Kubler−Ross & David Kessler
- End of life issues
- Necessary Losses − Judith Viorst
- Still Here − Ram Dass
- Why Survive (Being Old in America) − Robert Butler, M.D.
- You Staying Young − Roizen and Oz (MDs)
- AARP www.aarp.org
- Elderhostel Program www.roadscholar.org
Death and Dying/ Grief and Loss
- After a Parent's Suicide- Helping Children Heal − Margo Requarth, M.A., MFT
- The Grieving Child − Helen Fitzgerald
- A Parent's Guide
- The Mourning Handbook − Helen Fitzgerald
- On Death and Dying − Elisabeth Kubler−Ross
- What the dying have to teach doctors, nurses, clergy and their own families
- Teach Only Love − Gerald Jampolsky, MD
- Silent Grief (Living in the Wake of Suicide) − Christopher Lukas and Henry M. Seiden
- Attitudinal Healing − www.attitudinalhealing.org
Depression, Anxiety, Panic
- The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook − Edmund J. Bourne, Ph.D.
- The Depression Workbook − Mary Ellen Copeland, with Matthew McKay
- Feeling Good − David D. Burns, M.D
- The Feeling Good Handbook − David D. Burns, MD
- When Panic Attacks − David D. Burns, MD
- Master Your Panic − Denise F. Beckfield, Ph.D.
(Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)
- EMDR − Francine Shapiro, Ph.D. & Margot Forrest
- The Breakthrough Therapy for Overcoming Anxiety, Stress and Trauma − www.emdr.com
Family of Origin Issues
- Creating Love − John Bradshaw
- Family Secrets − John Bradshaw
- Home Coming − John Bradshaw
- The Artist's Way ~ A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity − Julia Cameron with Mark Bryan
- The Power of Your Other Hand − Lucia Capacchione, Ph.D.
- Your Mythic Journey − Sam Keen and Anne Valley−Fox
- Finding Meaning in Your Life Through Writing and Storytelling
- Diary of a Baby − Daniel N. Stern, MD
- It's Nobody's Fault − Harold S. Koplewicz, MD ~ New Hope and Help for Difficult Children and their Parents
- "No Fault brain disorders" and their treatment
- Living on the Razor's Edge − Matthew D. Selekman
- To help self−harming adolescents
- Loving Every Child − Janusz Korczak
- Parents, Teen and Boundaries − Jane Bluestein PH.D.
- The Parents Little Book of Lists − Jane Bluestein, Ph.D.
- Dos and Don'ts of Effective Parenting
- Positive Discipline − Jane Nelsen, Ed. D
Raising Self−Reliant Children
- Reviving Ophelia − Mary Pipher, Ph.D.
- Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls
- Safeguarding Your Teenager From the Dragons of Life − Bettie B. Youngs, Ph.D., Ed.D.
- Aspen Youth Services − aspeneducation.com
Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), ADD, Bipolar and Defiance
- The Bipolar Child ~ The Definitive and Reassuring Guide to Childhood's most Misunderstood Disorder − Demitri Papolos, M.D. and Janice Papolos
- Defiant Children ~ A Clinicians Manual for Assessment and Parent Training − Russell A. Barkley
- Healing ADD ~ The Breakthrough Program that Allows you to see and heal the 6 types of ADD − Daniel G. Amen, M.D.
- Managing Teens with ADHD − Brad Flick, Ph.D.~ Practical Tools & Strategies for Dealing with Difficult Behaviors
- Survival Strategies for Parenting Children with Bipolar Disorder − George Lynn, M.A., M.P.A., CMHC
- Taking Charge of ADHD − Russell A. Barkley, Ph.D.
- Emotional Intelligence − Daniel Goleman
- Full Catastrophic Living − John Kabot−Zinn, Ph.D.
- Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain and Illness
- Happiness Is a Choice − Barry Neil Kaufman
- Healing an Angry Heart − Cardwell C. Nuckols, Ph.D., and Bill Chickering
- The Healing Power of Emotion − Daniel Siegal, M.D.
- The Mindful Brain − Daniel Siegal M.D.
- Mindsight (The New Science of Personal Transformation) − Daniel Siegal, M.D.
- Necessary Losses − Judith Viorst
- The loves, illusions, dependencies and impossible expectations that all of us have to give up in order to grow
- The Velveteen Rabbit − Margary Williams
- Your Perfect Right − Alberti & Emmons
- A guide to Assertive Living
- Search Inside Yourself − Tan, Goleman, Kabat-Zinn
- The Unexpected Path to Achieving Success, Happiness, and World Peace
- After the Affair − Janis A. Spring
- Healing the Pain and Rebuilding Trust when a Partner Has Been Unfaithful
- Getting the Love You Want − Harville Hendrix, Ph.D.
- Hold Me Tight ~ Dr. Sue Johnson
- The Love Dare − Kendricks and Kendricks
- Christian approach based on the movie "Fireproof"
- Love Is The Answer − Gerald Jampolsky
- Feeling Good Together − David D. Burns, M.D
- Love Sense − Dr. Sue Johnson
- Passionate Marriage − David Schnarch, Ph.D.
- Keeping Love & Intimacy Alive in Committed Relationships
- Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work − John M. Gottman, Ph.D. and Nan Silver
- A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert
- The Ten−Second Miracle − Gay Hendricks, Ph.D
- Creating Relationship Breakthroughs
- Why Marriages Succeed or Fail: And How You Can Make Yours Last − John M. Gottman, Ph.D.
- Your Perfect Right − Alerti and Emmons
- A Guide to Assertive Living
- Word Wide Marriage Encounter − www.wwme.org
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy − www.psychotherapy.net/article/couples-therapy-attachment
- The Gottman Institute − Facebook.com/GottmanInstitute − www.gottman.com
- Relationship Seminars:
- World Wide Marriage Encounter
- David Snarch
- Terry Real
- John Gottman
- Beyond the Relaxation Response − Herbert Benson Ph.D.
- Conscious Breathing − Gay Hendricks, Ph.D.
- Breathwork for health, stress release, and personal mastery
- The Relaxation Response − Herbert Benson Ph.D.
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective People − Stephen Covey
- Sensible Self−Help − Grudermeyer, Grudermeyer, and Patrick
- The First Road Map for the Healing Journey
- I Can't Get Over It − Aphrodite Matsakis, PhD.
- A handbook for trauma survivors